Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
My neighbour gave me this recipe as we were renovating the kitchen and I didn’t have an oven for 6 months. I cooked everything outside on the BBQ and luckily I had a Wok burner connected to the BBQ. This dish is very easy and very yummy. I think Arroz con Pollo means ‘Rice with Chicken’ in Spanish. Enjoy we did :)
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 1 kg chicken fillet, cubes
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 small green capsicum, chopped
- 1 -2 bay leaf, if available (optional)
- 1 (425 g) can diced tomatoes (a large tin may be better, it's up to you)
- 750 ml chicken stock
- 2 cups rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 cup beans, cooked (optional)
- 1 (400 g) can artichoke hearts, chopped yummy if included (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown cubed chicken in some oil with the chopped garlic and onions.
- Add the chopped capsicum's sauté for a minute.
- Add the bay leaves, tomatoes and chicken stock.
- When the stock starts to boil stir in the rice and turmeric.
- Simmer low heat with the lid on until the rice is tender adding more stock if necessary. Stir regular. This will take 20-30 minutes approximately.
- Add beans and artichokes during the last 10 mins of cooking.
Thank you for a tasty, quick and easy recipe. I added some cajun spice to my chicken pieces for a little kick and some black pepper to the dish. I used par-boiled brown rice and red kidney beans. The end result was just a little bitter - probably the canned tomatoes I use, so will probably add a little sugar next time. A lovely, hearty meal :)
Made this for the February Diabetic Forum and this was such an easy and delicious recipe! I did cut the recipe in half and used black beans and the artichokes and I will definately make this again...sooo easy and quick. Thank you for posting the recipe.