Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This has tons of flavor!
Top Review by JesusIsKing78
This was SOOOO good! I had never made Arroz con Pollo before, but this was outstanding! Just like you said - very flavorful! I made it in the crockpot, just threw everything in together, and it came out great! Hubby wants it on the weekly dinner rotation now. Thanks Kitten!
- 6 chicken drumsticks (skin left on or off)
- 6 chicken thighs (skin left on or off)
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice, uncooked
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 1 cup chopped pimento stuffed olive
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and 1 tsp oregano.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven oven medium-high heat.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Add in the chicken and brown on all sides.
- Remove the chicken from the pan; drizzle with lime juice, cover; keep warm.
- Add in the chopped onion, bell pepper, crushed chili flakes and chopped garlic to the pan, saute over medium heat until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in 1/2 tsp oregano, tumeric and cumin; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the rice and ham, cook 1 minute; increase heat to medium.
- Add in the chicken broth and tomatoes (with the liquid); bring to a boil.
- Add in the chicken (nestling into the rice mixture); cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 18 minutes, or until the liquid is almost absorbed.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the peas; cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; let stand uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with olives.