Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This has tons of flavor!
Make and share this Arroz Con Pollo (Cuban Chicken) recipe from Food.com.
- 6 chicken drumsticks (skin left on or off)
- 6 chicken thighs (skin left on or off)
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice, uncooked
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 1 cup chopped pimento stuffed olive
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and 1 tsp oregano.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven oven medium-high heat.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Add in the chicken and brown on all sides.
- Remove the chicken from the pan; drizzle with lime juice, cover; keep warm.
- Add in the chopped onion, bell pepper, crushed chili flakes and chopped garlic to the pan, saute over medium heat until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in 1/2 tsp oregano, tumeric and cumin; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the rice and ham, cook 1 minute; increase heat to medium.
- Add in the chicken broth and tomatoes (with the liquid); bring to a boil.
- Add in the chicken (nestling into the rice mixture); cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 18 minutes, or until the liquid is almost absorbed.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the peas; cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; let stand uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with olives.
This was SOOOO good! I had never made Arroz con Pollo before, but this was outstanding! Just like you said - very flavorful! I made it in the crockpot, just threw everything in together, and it came out great! Hubby wants it on the weekly dinner rotation now. Thanks Kitten!
Easy and satisfying! We omitted the ham and peas and it was great. I don't like really spicy food but this was just fine with me - flavorful, not really spicy. Will definitely make it again!
Excellent recipe!! The whole family loved it! And it freezes well - too good to be true!