A Sarah Jay recipe, from Fine Cooking, issue #37.
Make and share this Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken With Rice) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, more as needed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken parts, patted dry and liberally seasoned with
- coarse salt, and
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2-1 lb Italian sausage, cut in 2-inch pieces (sweet or hot)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut in 1/2-inch dice (green or red)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup peeled crushed tomatoes (I use canned)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups medium grain rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- In a deep, heavy-based pot (such as a Dutch oven), heat the oil on medium high. Sauté the chicken, in batches if necessary, until golden on all sides, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter.
- Sauté the sausage until browned, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the sausage to the platter.
- Pour off and discard the excess oil, leaving about 1 Tbs. in the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium and sauté the onion, pepper, and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken and sausage to the pot and add the cumin, paprika, chili powder, and turmeric, if using, stirring to distribute the spices. Cook for 1 minute and then add the tomatoes, wine (or beer), and bay leaf.
- Increase the heat to medium high, stir, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and water. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the rice is done and the liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. (If the rice is done but still very soupy, remove the cover and cook very gently until the liquid evaporates, taking care not to burn the rice.).
- Give a toss and then let sit for 5 minutes before serving.