1/2 Photos of Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken With Rice)
A Sarah Jay recipe, from Fine Cooking, issue #37.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, more as needed
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken parts, patted dry and liberally seasoned with
- coarse salt, and
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2-1 lb Italian sausage, cut in 2-inch pieces (sweet or hot)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut in 1/2-inch dice (green or red)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 cup peeled crushed tomatoes (I use canned)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or 1/2 cup beer
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups medium grain rice
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1In a deep, heavy-based pot (such as a Dutch oven), heat the oil on medium high. Sauté the chicken, in batches if necessary, until golden on all sides, 7 to 10 minutes.
- 2Transfer the chicken to a platter.
- 3Sauté the sausage until browned, about 3 minutes.
- 4Transfer the sausage to the platter.
- 5Pour off and discard the excess oil, leaving about 1 Tbs. in the pan.
- 6Reduce the heat to medium and sauté the onion, pepper, and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 7Return the chicken and sausage to the pot and add the cumin, paprika, chili powder, and turmeric, if using, stirring to distribute the spices. Cook for 1 minute and then add the tomatoes, wine (or beer), and bay leaf.
- 8Increase the heat to medium high, stir, and cook for 2 minutes.
- 9Add the rice and water. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the rice is done and the liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. (If the rice is done but still very soupy, remove the cover and cook very gently until the liquid evaporates, taking care not to burn the rice.).
- 10Give a toss and then let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken With Rice)
Serving Size: 1 (530 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1018.4
- Calories from Fat 391
- Total Fat 43.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 164.5 mg
- Sodium 888.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 59.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: