Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe comes from my sister's mother-in-law that is from Cuba. It is a little different than most chicken and rice dishes, but very tasty.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 8 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 14 Spanish olives
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweet peas, with juice
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimiento, with juice
- 2 cups Uncle Ben's converted brand rice, rinsed
- 0.5 (12 ounce) can beer
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt, pepper, and garlic salt.
- Fry in vegetable oil until brown on both sides; set aside.
- Sauté green pepper, onion, and garlic in olive oil.
- Place browned chicken and sautéed vegetables into a large pot,on medium heat.
- Dissolve the chicken bouillon in the boiling water.
- Add to the pot, tomato soup, tomato sauce, chicken bouillon, and capers.
- Cook on medium heat.
- When the mixture starts to boil, add the Spanish olives, sweet peas (with juice), and pimentos (with juice).
- Add the rice and beer.
- Simmer for 2 hours.
- If it gets too thick thin with a little beer.