an absolutely delicious guatamalan recipe.
Make and share this Arroz Con Pollo Chapina (Guatemalan Chicken and Rice) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken pieces, skin and fat discarded
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped ripe tomato
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw rice
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄3 cup stuffed green olive
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup green peas
- 1⁄2 cup pimento pepper, slices (or substitute jalapeno peppers to heat it up)
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet brown the chicken in the oil over medium heat for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and the black pepper. Remove the chicken and set aside. In the same skillet with the chicken fat, fry the onion, garlic and tomato for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and fry for 2 minutes more. Add the carrots, olives and capers and mix everything together.
- Pour in the broth and chicken pieces.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover skillet and simmer until broth has been absorbed, about 10 minutes. Add the green peas.
- Cover skillet with aluminum foil and punch 8 holes in the top to allow steam to escape. Bake in a 300F oven for 30 minutes. Fluff up the mixture once or twice during the baking time.
- Serve warm. Decorate the surface with the pimiento strips and egg slices and sprinkle with the cheese. The rice should be dry, loose and not sticky. Serve with fried ripe plantain slices, a salsa picante and pickled vegetables.