Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
One of the most typical dishes in Costa Rica is Arroz Con (fill in the blank). It can be chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp. But most commonly it is made with chicken, because its affordable and many folks grow chickens in their backyards! This is my take on Arroz con Pollo - or Chicken with Rice. My housekeeper has shared her lunch with me on many an occasion, and it is always wonderful. Last week, I finally asked her how to make it and she rattled off directions. I don't know if I captured everything or not, but we think it tastes pretty good for a first try. This recipe includes a sauce called Lizano. I'm told it can be found in the hispanic section of some grocery stores in the States, or from specialty online retailers. I don't know because I never knew this sauce until we moved to Costa Rica. If I find a subsitution or a source, I'll edit this recipe to include the information. Update: Couldn't find a source, but the closest you may come is Worcestershire sauce. Just go easy on it, as Lizano is not as strong tasting as Worcestershire. Enjoy!
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 medium carrot, small dice
- 1⁄2 cup green beans, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 small onion, small dice
- 1⁄2 red pepper, small dice
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 cups cooked white rice, cold
- 5 tablespoons Lizano sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon achiote powder
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Cook carrot and green beans in salted water until tender, drain and set aside.
- In a wok-type pan, saute onion and red pepper in 2 tbsp olive oil until pepper is tender and onion is translucent. Set aside in small bowl.
- Heat remaining 3 tbsp oil in the wok until hot, then add the cooked rice, stir-frying for several minutes.
- Add the onion/pepper mixture and mix well to incorporate.
- Add the Lizano sauce, soy sauce and achiote powder. Mix well to incorporate.
- Add chicken and mix well to incorporate.
- Add salt and pepper to taste then remove from heat.
- Add cilantro and parsley.
- To serve in a typical manner, fill a serving-sized bowl with the Arroz con Pollo, tamp down, then unmold it onto the dinner plate. Served with a side salad and fried plantains. Here in Costa Rica, it would be served with french fries - a carbohydrate overload!
Made this recipe for friends and they said the flavor and ingredients were spot on. It is a very delicious style of arroz con pollo; it's sure to become a family favorite. The Lizano sauce can be found online, if it isn't at your local market.
Excellent recipe. My husband and I have been to Costa Rica many times and I love the Arroz con Pollo down there. I've tried several different recipes at home and this is, by far, the closest to the real thing. Thanks so much for sharing. For those of you outside of Costa Rica, If you can't find annatto at your local grocers, go to spicesage.com. Reasonable prices and they have just about any spice you could want.