Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Depending on the size and thickness of your pot, the rice may take more or less time to cook. If there's a lot of liquid left in the pot when the rice is done, remove the cover and simmer gently until the liquid boils off. If just a small amount of liquid remains when the rice is done, turn off the heat and let the rice rest, still covered, for 5 or 10 minutes. In that time, the rice will absorb the remaining moisture. This rest will also make the flavors become more robust. I like to pair the sweet Italian sausage with wine and the hot sausage with beer. I also like the way turmeric colors the rice, but it's fine to omit it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, more as needed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, patted dry and liberally seasoned with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1⁄2-1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage links, cut in 2 in. pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium green peppers or 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup peeled canned crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 dry white wine or 1⁄2 beer
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups medium grain rice, such as goya
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- In a deep heavy-based pot heat the oil on medium high.
- Saute the chicken, in batches if necessary, until golden on all sides.
- Transfer chicken to a platter.
- Saute sausage until browned.
- Transfer the sausage to the platter.
- Pour off and discard excess oil, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium and saute the onion, pepper and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken and sausage to the pot and add the cumin, paprika, chili powder and turmeric, if using, stirring to distribute the spices.
- Cook for 1 minute and then add the tomatoes, wine (or beer) and bay leaf.
- Increase the heat to medium high, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and water, bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook until the rice is done and the liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Give a toss and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.