Recipe by English_Rose
This colourful chicken and rice dish from Latin America is cooked and served in one pot.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 ounces chopped tomatoes, can
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 ounces long-grain rice
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 1⁄2 ounces frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Heat half the oil in a large flameproof casserole and fry the chicken thighs over high heat, turning frequently, or until evenly browned. Remove from the casserole, drain, and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil, reduce the heat and fry the onion until softened. Add the chopped peppers and garlic and fry for 5 minutes, or until they start to soften. Add the paprika, bay leaf, tomatoes, thyme, and oregano, and stir in the rice. Fry for 1–2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Crumble in the saffron, add the stock, tomato paste, lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return the chicken thighs to the casserole, pushing them down into the rice, cover, and cook in the oven for 15 minutes. Add the peas and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes, or until the rice is tender and has absorbed the cooking liquid. Serve hot, straight from the casserole.