I could not stop thinking about the Arroz con Pollo by Jorge Ayala that won the Thowdown with Bobby Flay. It looked SO good.... So I decided to try and find it on the internet, but to no avail. I have no idea what Jorge's tastes like but I wanna try it! In the meantime, I came up with a version that is pretty tasty!
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 poblano pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
Arroz con Pollo
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili oil
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on (I have also used 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts with good results)
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1 cup manzanilla Spanish olives with pimento
- lime wedge
- Mix together the Adobo seasoning in a small bowl.
- Cut the onion, peppers, and garlic into a small dice and set aside.
- Trim the chicken of any excess fat and season with Adobo seasoning.
- Heat the olive oil and the chili oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until very hot. Season the chicken with Adobo. Save the leftovers in an airtight container.
- Place the chicken skin side down in the oil and saute until golden brown.
- Remove chicken to plate.
- Stir in sofrito and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add rice, chicken stock and beer and stir well.
- Add chicken chicken back into pot and stir well.
- Cover the pot and turn heat to low and simmer until the liquid is almost absorbed, about about 10 - 15 minutes (or according to the package direction for your rice - minus 5 mninuts). Add peas and continue to simmer unil peas are warmed (about 5 minutes). After rice is cooked and the peas are warm add the olives and stir well.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with hot sauce and corn or flour tortillas on the side.