Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Easy and delicious. What more is there to say? Uses a crock pot and your house smells incredible when you come home from work. Uses normal pantry items.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 4 pounds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 canned chipotle pepper
- 14 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen green peas
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro leaf
- lime wedge (to garnish)
- Rinse chicken breasts, pat dry.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the black pepper.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil until hot.
- Brown chicken on both sides until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Place in crockpot.
- Place canned tomatoes, onion chunks. garlic cloves, chipotle pepper and the rest of the salt and pepper in blender jar.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- Stir in canned chicken broth.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Stir in rice.
- Turn crock pot to high.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Turn crock pot off.
- Add frozen peas.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Place on serving plate.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- Garnish with lime wedges.
anything made with instant rice--- well-there is not much more you can say but--yuck!! no latina would think of using INSTANT RICE!!!