Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my version of my favorite Cuban dish. I use boneless skinless chicken breast instead of whole chicken. It makes it easier to prepare and eat, as well as a little healthier. This is one of my most requested dishes. I usually serve it with black beans, platanos maduros, and garlic bread.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 (5 g) packets sazon goya with azafran or 2 (1 g) packets Vigo flavoring and coloring
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 1⁄4 cup diced pimento
- 1 small bay leaf
- Slice each chicken breast lengthwise into 3 or 4 pieces.
- Place olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot with a tight-fitting lid. Sauté chicken pieces over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Sauté onions and green peppers until onions are translucent. Add garlic and sauté another two minutes. Add tomato and cook two more minutes.
- Add chicken stock and Goya or Vigo seasoning. Return chicken to pan. Add remaining ingredients and turn heat to high. Stir occasionally until stock starts to boil.
- Cover pan and wait until steam starts to escape from under the lid. Immediately turn heat to low. Cook with lid on for twenty minutes. (Don't lift the lid or the rice won't cook properly).
- Remove pan from heat. Remove bay leaf and stir to fluff rice. Replace lid and let sit about 10 minutes before serving.