Recipe by Sharlene~W
One of my families top 10 dinners. Easy and hearty.
Top Review by MizzNezz
Another keeper, Sharlene! This is a wonderful, very flavorful rice dish. I added just a dash of oregano, and a cup of frozen peas. I had a rather small chicken, so only had to simmer for 45 minutes. Will make this one again! Thank you!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, cut in pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup rice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain tomatoes and reserve juice (add water to make 1 cup juice).
- In a large frying pan or dutch oven, heat oil to medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and sauté in batches until well browned.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- To pan, add onion, green pepper and garlic.
- Cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and turmeric.
- Cook, stirring a minute or so.
- Stir in tomatoes, 1 cup of the reserved juice, the stock, bay leaf, pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Break up tomatoes and stir well.
- Put in chicken pieces and push into the rice to cover.
- Simmer at a very low temperature until chicken is tender and rice as absorbed all the liquid, about a hour.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.