Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 12 ounces link pork sausage
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into serving size pieces
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 14 ounces tomatoes, diced
- 10 ounces peas (frozen)
- Brown sausages in a Dutch Oven. Drain all but, 1/4 cup drippings from the pan. Slice the sausages into rounds and then set aside.
- Coat Chicken with mixture of flour, salt & pepper; brown in reserved drippings.
- Add onion, celery, broth & water to chicken.
- Cover and simmer till chicken is nearly tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add rice, tomatoes, & sausage.
- Simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 20 minutes more.*.
- Add frozen peas; heat through (10 to 20 minutes). Serve.
- *The original recipe calls for this to be cooked in a Dutch Oven but, I often will bake it at 350 for an hour or put it in the crockpot on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours (follow the recipe until after the chicken is browned, then put everything together. Add peas the last 20 minutes). It always turn out great!