Recipe by SuperSpike
This is a recipe I came up with to use up a whole bunch of salsa that I made (see Leah's food processor salsa). My favorite mexican dish is Arroz con pollo, and have a hard time finding any restaurants that make it to my liking. This is a simple and delicious dish. Please note that this recipe uses rice that is already cooked.
Top Review by ahuntingwwgo
Loved it!! Made subtle substitutions (pepper jack for regular, chili powder, which is cumin and cayenne, plus a few others) and added an 8oz can of tomato sauce because my salsa was on the watery/fresh side. SUPER EASY, super tasty....can't wait to make it again. THANKS!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄2 lb button mushroom, quartered
- 1 medium onion, medium diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups salsa, I use medium heat
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked rice
- salt and pepper
- parsley or cilantro, for color
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat then add mushrooms, onion, and garlic. let cook for 2 minutes or so.
- season chicken with salt, pepper, cumin, and cayenne- add to skillet, cook until chicken is brown on all sides.
- add salsa and rice stir frequently while the chicken continues to cook.
- Add chicken broth a little bit at a time, like you're making risotto(you probably won't need the whole amount of chicken broth because the rice is already cooked- the amount you need depends on what kind of salsa and rice you use).
- When chicken is cooked through and the surrounding rice is creamy, turn off heat and stir in cheese.
- Top with some chopped cilantro or parsley for a pop of color.