Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe I came up with to use up a whole bunch of salsa that I made (see Leah's food processor salsa). My favorite mexican dish is Arroz con pollo, and have a hard time finding any restaurants that make it to my liking. This is a simple and delicious dish. Please note that this recipe uses rice that is already cooked.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄2 lb button mushroom, quartered
- 1 medium onion, medium diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups salsa, I use medium heat
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked rice
- salt and pepper
- parsley or cilantro, for color
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat then add mushrooms, onion, and garlic. let cook for 2 minutes or so.
- season chicken with salt, pepper, cumin, and cayenne- add to skillet, cook until chicken is brown on all sides.
- add salsa and rice stir frequently while the chicken continues to cook.
- Add chicken broth a little bit at a time, like you're making risotto(you probably won't need the whole amount of chicken broth because the rice is already cooked- the amount you need depends on what kind of salsa and rice you use).
- When chicken is cooked through and the surrounding rice is creamy, turn off heat and stir in cheese.
- Top with some chopped cilantro or parsley for a pop of color.
Loved it!! Made subtle substitutions (pepper jack for regular, chili powder, which is cumin and cayenne, plus a few others) and added an 8oz can of tomato sauce because my salsa was on the watery/fresh side. SUPER EASY, super tasty....can't wait to make it again. THANKS!
Very easy & quite good! I had leftover chicken & rice so it was really quick. Only change I will make next time is to add more of the vegetables. Wish I had this recipe when all my kids were little because of the ease & fabulous taste.
Excellent one-pot meal the whole family enjoyed. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs because we prefer them over breasts. I used Adobo Seasoning with Cumin and eliminated the salt and cumin. Added ground black pepper to taste I didn't use the cayenne pepper either because my salsa had just the right amount of heat without adding to it. We made this into a full meal by serving with pinto beans and tortillas. This made for a delicious dinner and was so quick and easy to prepare and cleanup was a breeze. My kinda meal. Thanks for sharing. It'll be made again because it received all thumbs up around our table.