1/1 Photo of Arroz Con Pollo 1 Dish Meal
This is a recipe I came up with to use up a whole bunch of salsa that I made (see Leah's food processor salsa). My favorite mexican dish is Arroz con pollo, and have a hard time finding any restaurants that make it to my liking. This is a simple and delicious dish. Please note that this recipe uses rice that is already cooked.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 lb button mushroom, quartered
- 1 medium onion, medium diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups salsa, I use medium heat
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked rice
- salt and pepper
- parsley or cilantro, for color
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat then add mushrooms, onion, and garlic. let cook for 2 minutes or so.
- 2season chicken with salt, pepper, cumin, and cayenne- add to skillet, cook until chicken is brown on all sides.
- 3add salsa and rice stir frequently while the chicken continues to cook.
- 4Add chicken broth a little bit at a time, like you're making risotto(you probably won't need the whole amount of chicken broth because the rice is already cooked- the amount you need depends on what kind of salsa and rice you use).
- 5When chicken is cooked through and the surrounding rice is creamy, turn off heat and stir in cheese.
- 6Top with some chopped cilantro or parsley for a pop of color.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arroz Con Pollo 1 Dish Meal
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.0
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 67.7 mg
- Sodium 824.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 27.0 g