1 hr 29 mins
1 hr 19 mins
This is an adaptation of recipes from two sources, Whats4Eats.com and Time/Life Foods of the World. Fresh peas may be substitutes for frozen. This dish requires some advance preparation. Prep time does not include marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 duck, cut into serving pieces and trimmed of all fat (about 4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles lager beer
- 1 cup bock beer
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 2Prick the skin of the duck all over with a fork or small knife.
- 3Rub lemon mixture over all sides of duck.
- 4Place on a plate, cover with foil, and refrigerate for 3-6 hours.
- 5Heat the oil in a heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 6Add duck(in batches if necessary) and brown well on all sides.
- 7Remove duck and set aside.
- 8Drain all but 2 tablespoons of fat.
- 9Add onion and pepper and cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- 10Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- 11Add beer and return duck to pot.
- 12Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring and scraping bottom of pan.
- 13Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30-45 minutes, or until the duck is tender.
- 14Remove duck and keep warm.
- 15Strain liquid. Reserve 3 1/2 cups, and discard the remainder.
- 16Return liquid to pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 17Add rice and return to a boil.
- 18Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
- 19Stir in cilantro, peas, and remaining salt and pepper.
- 20Arrange duck on top of rice, cover, and return to low heat just until heated through.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arroz Con Pato (Beer-Braised Peruvian Duck With Rice)
Serving Size: 1 (514 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1901.4
- Calories from Fat 1252
- Total Fat 139.1 g
- Saturated Fat 43.9 g
- Cholesterol 240.9 mg
- Sodium 832.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 46.5 g