Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
Arroz con Leche is one of my favorite desserts. This version is sweet, and creamy. The rice pudding will thicken more as it cools, so be careful not to overcook.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, washed
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- Take a small pot and add water and cinnamon sticks, bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat place the rice and the cinnamon water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, butter, vanilla extract, 2 cups of milk, and sugar. Stir well to mix and cook uncovered for approximately 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add the remaining milk and condensed milk. Stir with a wooden spoon. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the rice pudding thickens to desire consistency.
This cooked up perfectly and was right on time at 90 min for the final stage. It was nicely creamy and very! sweet. I reduced the sugar to just 1/2 C and it was far sweeter than my taste. People with a major sweet tooth would love it (as is) I am sure, but I will use 8 oz of sweetened condnsed milk next time and omit any additional sugar and increase the milk to 4oz to make up for the missing condensed milk.