I threw this together last night. I was out of sweetened condensed milk and out of evaporated milk so I tried this and it was just as good!
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add rice, cover and remove from heat. Let the rice sit for 10 minutes.
- Drain the rice and place back into a saucepan with 2 cups of water, lemon peel, and salt and boil on medium heat covered for 10 minutes.
- Place the rice in a bowl covered with plastic and set aside.
- Bring the 2 cups of milk, vanilla, cinnamon sticks and sugar to a low boil stirring continuously for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lemon peel from the rice and discard.
- Add the rice to the milk mixture and turn the heat up to medium high. Cook stirring throughly for an additional 2 minutes. Add the raisans and cook stirring continuously for another 2 minutes.
- Serve and garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon powder on top if desired.
Wow this was amazing! It was just as good if not better than if made with condensed and evaporated milk. The bf and I loved it!! Followed the recipe I just didnt add raisins. Delicious!!!
Last nite was a chilly one in West Texas so we were craving some arroz con leche. And of course, we didnt have all the ingredients. We didnt use the lemon peel or sweetened condensed milk, or salt but cause I didnt think it was needed. But man oh man, this was perfect! It hit the spot! Cooking time was less than 20 min since we made only half of what the recipe called for. From now on this is how I will make arroz con leche, so easy and delicious! Thanks for sharing, Tiny!