Recipe by cervantesbrandi
I threw this together last night. I was out of sweetened condensed milk and out of evaporated milk so I tried this and it was just as good!
Top Review by Anonymous
Didn't have a lemon peel, but it still turned out great. I prefer it to be a little less sweet and thicker but that's is a easy fix and personal taste. Definitely worth making on a cold night. Great and easy recipe.
- 1 cup rice (I used jasmine)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 piece lemon peel (the size of a lemon wedge)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add rice, cover and remove from heat. Let the rice sit for 10 minutes.
- Drain the rice and place back into a saucepan with 2 cups of water, lemon peel, and salt and boil on medium heat covered for 10 minutes.
- Place the rice in a bowl covered with plastic and set aside.
- Bring the 2 cups of milk, vanilla, cinnamon sticks and sugar to a low boil stirring continuously for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lemon peel from the rice and discard.
- Add the rice to the milk mixture and turn the heat up to medium high. Cook stirring throughly for an additional 2 minutes. Add the raisans and cook stirring continuously for another 2 minutes.
- Serve and garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon powder on top if desired.