Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 13 mins
Eggs are healthful, economical sources of protein and a host of other nutrients including all the B vitamins, zinc, selenium and vision-protecting lutein. This was adapted from the National Egg Board & found in the Miami Herald. I plan to cook brown rice ahead of time & reheat 1 cup portions in the microwave with microwave with the onion, garlic & salt then proceed with the recipe.
- In a medium saucepan, combine rice, onion, garlic, salt and 1 cup water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 to 3 inches water to a boil in a deep skillet.
- When rice is done, stir in bell pepper, salsa and tomato. Set aside, covered.
- Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer. Holding dish close to water's surface, slip eggs, one by one, into boiling water. Adjust heat to maintain a simmer. Cook until whites are set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, about 5 minutes.
- With slotted spoon, lift out eggs. Drain in spoon or on paper towels. Trim any ragged edges, if desired.
- To serve, divide rice mixture between 2 plates and top each with a poached egg. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.