Buster's friend's Note:
Eggs are healthful, economical sources of protein and a host of other nutrients including all the B vitamins, zinc, selenium and vision-protecting lutein. This was adapted from the National Egg Board & found in the Miami Herald. I plan to cook brown rice ahead of time & reheat 1 cup portions in the microwave with microwave with the onion, garlic & salt then proceed with the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium saucepan, combine rice, onion, garlic, salt and 1 cup water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered 10 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, bring 2 to 3 inches water to a boil in a deep skillet.
- 3When rice is done, stir in bell pepper, salsa and tomato. Set aside, covered.
- 4Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer. Holding dish close to water's surface, slip eggs, one by one, into boiling water. Adjust heat to maintain a simmer. Cook until whites are set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, about 5 minutes.
- 5With slotted spoon, lift out eggs. Drain in spoon or on paper towels. Trim any ragged edges, if desired.
- 6To serve, divide rice mixture between 2 plates and top each with a poached egg. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Healthy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Healthy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arroz Con Huevos (Rice With Eggs)
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.0
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 218.6 mg
- Sodium 608.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 13.1 g