1/1 Photo of Arroz Con Gandules (Rice and Pigeon Peas)
This is a traditional Christmas Eve dish from Puerto Rico. Most people add the alcaparrado (olives and capers) at the beginning of cooking. I think this makes the dish taste "funny." I stir in the olives and capers at the end of cooking which I think makes for a cleaner flavor. This recipe is based on one by Daisy martinez. Look at Achiote Oil for the achiote (annatto) oil and Sofrito (Daisy Martinez) for the sofrito, or use your favorite or get store-bought. This recipe makes a lot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 118.29 ml achiote oil (Achiote Oil)
- 236.59 ml sofrito sauce (Sofrito (Daisy Martinez))
- 44.37 ml kosher salt
- 14.79 ml cracked black pepper
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- 680.38 g pork neck bones
- 425.24 g pigeon peas, rinsed and drained
- 1419.54 ml long grain rice
- 1892.72 ml beef broth
- 1 banana leaf (optional)
- 44.37 ml alcaparrado or 44.37 ml pimento-stuffed green olives, coarsely chopped
- 1Heat achiote oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat until it ripples; stir in sofrito and season with salt, pepper, and cumin.
- 2Cook until sofrito reduces and starts sizzling, about 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in the neck bones, peas, and rice until everything is lightly covered with oil.
- 4Add enough broth to cover rice and bones by the width of two fingers.
- 5Cover with a banana leaf, if using, folding as necessary to fit into the pot.
- 6Bring to a boil and let cook until the level of broth reaches the level of the rice (it will look like numerous volcanos).
- 7Remove leaf, add in olives, give a good stir, replace leaf, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- 8Remove leaf and fluff with fork; serve hot.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arroz Con Gandules (Rice and Pigeon Peas)
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 564.9
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 2565.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 116.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 18.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pork neck bones