1/2 Photos of Arroz Con Gandules (Rice and Pigeon Peas)
Michelle Figueroa's Note:
Got this recipe from El Boricua.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups medium grain rice (rinsed)
- 1/4-1/2 lb pork
- 4 -5 cups hot water, approx
- 1/2 cup ready made sofrito sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can of cooked green pigeon peas (gandules, undrained)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 20 green olives
- 1 sazon goya con culantro y achiote
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons oil
- salt & pepper
- 1Cut pork into biting sizes and season with adobo, sazon, salt and pepper to taste.
- 2In a medium size caldero (rice pot) add the oil and heat on medium heat.
- 3Add the pork and fry until almost done.
- 4Add tomato sauce, olives, sofrito, sazon, salt and pepper.
- 5Cook over for 4 minutes.
- 6Add all other ingredients, and enough water to cover the rice 1" above the rice line. Stir.
- 7Bring to a boil and cook over med/high heat until most of the water is absorbed.
- 8Once the water has been absorbed, stir gently from bottom to top - once or twice only, cover and turn the heat down to low.
- 9You can cover the rice with aluminum paper or better yet a banana leaf and then put on the cover.
- 10Cook for 30 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Browse Our Top Medium-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Medium-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arroz Con Gandules (Rice and Pigeon Peas)
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 597.6
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 15.8 mg
- Sodium 755.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.4 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 25.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sazon goya con culantro y achiote