Recipe by TheBostonBean
This savory dish has many variations through out all the spanish speaking countries, this is the Puerto Rican version.
- 14.79 ml sofrito sauce (check out recipe # from my recipes)
- 425.24 g can pigeon peas (any canned bean will do)
- 56.69 g can tomato sauce
- 4.92 ml salt
- 113.39 g can Spam (don't ask a lot of people use it, substitute a ham steak)
- 29.58 ml cooking oil
- 7.08 g package sazon goya
- 6-10 pitted green olives
- 473.18 ml rice (rinsed)
- 946.36 ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse starch off the rice, this IS important.
- Dice ham steak or Spam.
- Pour oil into 4-5 quart cooking pot ( make sure its a large wide pot, not a thin deep one).
- Add sofrito and fry on medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add ham and fry for 1 more minute.
- Add tomato sauce and heat through for 30 seconds.
- Add sazon, salt and water and bring to a boil.
- Add pigeon peas and olives and boil 5 minutes.
- Add rice and mix around with spoon once.
- Bring to boil on HIGH heat until water has evaporated to the rice line.
- Lower temperature to low/medium low and cover TIGHT with lid ( add foil or banana leaf if need be to make it a tight seal).
- Cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Uncover, serve and enjoy!