This savory dish has many variations through out all the spanish speaking countries, this is the Puerto Rican version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon sofrito sauce (check out recipe # from my recipes)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pigeon peas (any canned bean will do)
- 0.5 (4 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (4 ounce) can Spam (don't ask a lot of people use it, substitute a ham steak)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package sazon goya
- 6 -10 pitted green olives
- 2 cups rice (rinsed)
- 4 cups water
- 1Rinse starch off the rice, this IS important.
- 2Dice ham steak or Spam.
- 3Pour oil into 4-5 quart cooking pot ( make sure its a large wide pot, not a thin deep one).
- 4Add sofrito and fry on medium heat for 1 minute.
- 5Add ham and fry for 1 more minute.
- 6Add tomato sauce and heat through for 30 seconds.
- 7Add sazon, salt and water and bring to a boil.
- 8Add pigeon peas and olives and boil 5 minutes.
- 9Add rice and mix around with spoon once.
- 10Bring to boil on HIGH heat until water has evaporated to the rice line.
- 11Lower temperature to low/medium low and cover TIGHT with lid ( add foil or banana leaf if need be to make it a tight seal).
- 12Cook for 25-30 minutes.
- 13Uncover, serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arroz Con Gandules ( Rice and Beans)
Serving Size: 1 (330 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 581.2
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 13.0 mg
- Sodium 752.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 22.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: