Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of my favorite meals. It's a meal within itself, but it's also great served as a side dish.
- 709.77 ml rice
- 1419.54 ml water
- 425.24 g cangreen pigeon peas, undrained (gandules)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 59.14 ml coarsely chopped pimento stuffed olive
- 29.58 ml capers
- 118.29 ml finely chopped cilantro (fresh)
- 236.59 ml chorizo sausage, coarsely chopped (crisp, crumbled bacon or cubed, cooked ham may be substituted)
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil (or if you use bacon and cook the bacon in a skillet, 2 tbs of the bacon drippings may be substituted)
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml paprika
- 1.23 ml salt
- 5 sprig cilantro (stems and all)
- In large, thick pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- When hot, add the onion and bell pepper.
- Saute for 2 minutes, then add gandules, chopped cilantro, garlic, capers, olives and chorizo.
- Saute for 2 to 3 minutes more, or until onions are translucent and peppers are soft.
- Add the water, bouillon cubes, cumin, salt, and paprika to the pot. Turn heat up a bit, and bring to a boil.
- Make sure the bouillon cubes are dissolved.
- Add rice; let boil uncovered for approximately 3 minutes.
- Lay the sprigs of cilantro across the top of the rice.
- Do not clump them together, spread randomly across the rice.
- Cover the pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer until rice is tender, approximately 25 minutes.
- When rice is dry and tender, remove cilantro sprigs, fluff with spoon, and serve.
Excellent recipe! All of the flavor components are there. I just eliminated the oil and butter, and it still came out great!!!!
Absolutely outstanding-a very moist and flavorful one-dish meal-now one of our favorite meals too! I didn't realize I was almost out of white rice so only used two cups, and reduced the water to four cups to compensate. It was perfect and still easily feeds six so I'll stick with this "low carb" version next time too. Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe.