1/1 Photo of Arroz Con Gandules
This is one of my favorite meals. It's a meal within itself, but it's also great served as a side dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups rice
- 6 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can green pigeon peas, undrained (gandules)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pimento stuffed olive
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro (fresh)
- 1 cup chorizo sausage, coarsely chopped (crisp, crumbled bacon or cubed, cooked ham may be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or if you use bacon and cook the bacon in a skillet, 2 tbs of the bacon drippings may be substituted)
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 sprigs cilantro (stems and all)
- 1In large, thick pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- 2When hot, add the onion and bell pepper.
- 3Saute for 2 minutes, then add gandules, chopped cilantro, garlic, capers, olives and chorizo.
- 4Saute for 2 to 3 minutes more, or until onions are translucent and peppers are soft.
- 5Add the water, bouillon cubes, cumin, salt, and paprika to the pot. Turn heat up a bit, and bring to a boil.
- 6Make sure the bouillon cubes are dissolved.
- 7Add rice; let boil uncovered for approximately 3 minutes.
- 8Lay the sprigs of cilantro across the top of the rice.
- 9Do not clump them together, spread randomly across the rice.
- 10Cover the pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer until rice is tender, approximately 25 minutes.
- 11When rice is dry and tender, remove cilantro sprigs, fluff with spoon, and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arroz Con Gandules
Serving Size: 1 (488 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 652.1
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 574.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 124.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 22.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pimento stuffed olives