Authentic Puerto Rican rice - great side dish, or serve with Puerto Rican Beans and Rice and have as a main dish. When I serve it this way, I double the beans and top with shredded lettuce, tomato and avocado. You can substitute other meat for the sausage - ham, chicken or pork. Credit for this recipe goes to my good friend Michelle.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces smoked sausage, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 2 tablespoons sofrito sauce
- 2 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 15 ounces pigeon peas, undrained (gandules)
- 1 (1/2 ounce) envelope sazon goya (con cuilantro)
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 cups rice, rinsed with cold water and drained
- 1In a large pot, brown sauage in olive oil with Adobo.
- 2Add all remaining ingredients except rice; bring to a boil.
- 3Stir in rice and cook uncovered until a metal spoon rested on top slowly fills without sinking (technical instructions I know, but this is how it was taught to me.
- 4Stir rice and cover; lower heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- 5Stir, recover and cook additional 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arroz Con Gandules
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 597.9
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 13.6 mg
- Sodium 365.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 24.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: