Recipe by JenniferK2
Authentic Puerto Rican rice - great side dish, or serve with Puerto Rican Beans and Rice and have as a main dish. When I serve it this way, I double the beans and top with shredded lettuce, tomato and avocado. You can substitute other meat for the sausage - ham, chicken or pork. Credit for this recipe goes to my good friend Michelle.
Top Review by Mrs.Jack
DELICIOUS! So easy and lots of flavor-everyone loved this dish! I used diced ham and included recaito. Thank you, JenniferK2, for a great recipe! Made for the Think Pink Tag Game In Honor of Breast Cancer Awareness, October 2008.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces smoked sausage, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 2 tablespoons sofrito sauce
- 2 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 15 ounces pigeon peas, undrained (gandules)
- 1 (1/2 ounce) envelope sazon goya (con cuilantro)
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 cups rice, rinsed with cold water and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, brown sauage in olive oil with Adobo.
- Add all remaining ingredients except rice; bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and cook uncovered until a metal spoon rested on top slowly fills without sinking (technical instructions I know, but this is how it was taught to me.
- Stir rice and cover; lower heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir, recover and cook additional 15 minutes.