1/1 Photo of Arroz Con Gandules
This recipe is MSG free (No Sazon or Bouillon) and it is delicious. Serve with any meat, avocado and salad. I got this recipe from my Dominican Mama, Tata. The ultimate secret to good rice is the pot. Use an heavy aluminum caldero. Sold in most discount stores in the pot section.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 44.37 ml oil
- 118.29 ml onion, diced
- 78.07 ml red pepper, diced
- 78.07 ml green pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 59.14 ml sweet pepper (ajicito)
- 44.37 ml distilled white vinegar
- 439.41 g can pigeon peas, Goya Dry Pigeon Peas
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce, Del Monte
- 709.77 ml long-grain rice
- 1064.65 ml water
- 9.85 ml salt (to taste)
- 8 stalk cilantro
- 1Heat oil on medium heat.
- 2Add in onion, red pepper, green pepper, garlic and ajicito (aji) and 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Saute for 10 minutes on medium heat stirring every minute or so. (Do not cover until last step).
- 3Drain dry pigeon peas and reserve liquid. Add in dry pigeon peas and cook for another 5 minutes on medium heat.
- 4Add in tomato sauce and 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Bring to a boil.
- 5Add in rice, reserved dry pigeon pea liquid, water and salt. Boil on high heat until water cooks down and bubbles are popping on the surface of the rice.
- 6Break cilantro stalks in half and mix into wet rice. Cover and cook on low heat for 15 minutes or until fully cooked.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arroz Con Gandules
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 504.3
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 749.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 17.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: