Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is MSG free (No Sazon or Bouillon) and it is delicious. Serve with any meat, avocado and salad. I got this recipe from my Dominican Mama, Tata. The ultimate secret to good rice is the pot. Use an heavy aluminum caldero. Sold in most discount stores in the pot section.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup red pepper, diced
- 1⁄3 cup green pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pepper (ajicito)
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pigeon peas, Goya Dry Pigeon Peas
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce, Del Monte
- 3 cups long-grain rice
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 8 stalks cilantro
- Heat oil on medium heat.
- Add in onion, red pepper, green pepper, garlic and ajicito (aji) and 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Saute for 10 minutes on medium heat stirring every minute or so. (Do not cover until last step).
- Drain dry pigeon peas and reserve liquid. Add in dry pigeon peas and cook for another 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add in tomato sauce and 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Bring to a boil.
- Add in rice, reserved dry pigeon pea liquid, water and salt. Boil on high heat until water cooks down and bubbles are popping on the surface of the rice.
- Break cilantro stalks in half and mix into wet rice. Cover and cook on low heat for 15 minutes or until fully cooked.