Recipe by Brian Holley
This Spanish dish is very simple to make and simply delicious, filling and not too expensive. If you enjoy paella dishes this should please you. The recipe was given to me by my Spanish next door neighbor, she tells me that it is new style food!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 400 g long grain rice
- 300 g lean pork
- 1 skinless chicken breast
- 2 bratwursts or 100 g black pudding
- 100 g chickpeas, from a can
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 35 fluid ounces water
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 3 eggs, beaten yolks only
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the pork, chicken and sausage into 1" pieces.
- In a large pan heat the oil and fry the meat, with the garlic, tomato puree and chick peas. Stir well and cook for 3 minutes.
- Wash the rice in cold running water , to removes excess starch. Add to the pan.
- Add the water, crumble the stock cube and add to the pan with the turmeric and peas.
- Bring to the boil, cover the pan, reduce heat to minimum cook for 12 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, LEAVE THE PAN covered for ten minutes. make sure that the rice has absorbed all of the water, and is almost dry. Check seasoning and adjust to taste.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork. Put rice into an oven proof dish.
- Beat the eggs, pour over the rice and place into hot oven till eggs have formed a crust on top of the rice.