Recipe by MomLuvs6
For ZWT 5. From The Foods and Wines of Spain. Could be used as a: Main Dish-Serves 4. Side Dish-Serves 6 Update: Have changed directions per reviewers suggestion.
Top Review by Lavender Lynn
After seeing Magpie's picture I want to try this with asparagus! DH is also intrigued with using some of the dried hot Mexican peppers in place of the sweet red one. This time, though, I made it exactly to the recipe and it came out great. It was just one piece of a terrific ZWT supper, but DD16 commented that it was the rice that tied it all together, because it went so well with each other item on the plate. Made for Zaar World Tour 5.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 dried sweet red pepper, such as New Mexico style, stem and seeds removed
- 1 small tomatoes, cut in large pieces
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb zucchini, cut in 1/2-inch cubes (1/2 meduim zucchini)
- 1⁄4 lb green beans
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat chicken broth.
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Saute dried red pepper until softened (do not burn it), and remove from skillet.
- Next saute the tomato and garlic in same skillet and oil, until garlic is golden.
- Add dried red pepper, tomato and garlic to processor or blender.
- Blend the ingredients in the processor, forming a paste.
- Add the heated chicken broth to the paste and blend until smooth.
- Put the onion in the skillet and saute til soft.
- Add zucchini and green beans, saute 10 minutes.
- Add the rice, stir to coat well with the oil.
- Pour sauce into the skillet.
- Add salt, bring to a boil, simmer, uncovered 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, you don't want the rice soupy.
- Pour into a 8-9 inch casserole dish, bake uncovered for 15 minutes at 325 degrees or until any remaining liquid is absorbed. Remove from oven and cover with foil, sit for 5 minutes.