This is a local dish. Central Cafe is a nice little restaurant and this recipe comes from Seasoned with Sun. A wonderful cookbook by the Junior Leage of El Paso. I made a few changes..of course! The original recipe calls for long grain rice and long green chiles, roasted and peeled. You can make it their way or mine, your choice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a medium saute pan, add olive oil.
- When oil is warm, add the rice, onion, pepper, and garlic.
- Saute for 2 to 3 minutes or until rice browns slightly.
- Pour in chicken stock, stir and pour into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.