Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a local dish. Central Cafe is a nice little restaurant and this recipe comes from Seasoned with Sun. A wonderful cookbook by the Junior Leage of El Paso. I made a few changes..of course! The original recipe calls for long grain rice and long green chiles, roasted and peeled. You can make it their way or mine, your choice.
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed well
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded,chopped
- 1 -2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a medium saute pan, add olive oil.
- When oil is warm, add the rice, onion, pepper, and garlic.
- Saute for 2 to 3 minutes or until rice browns slightly.
- Pour in chicken stock, stir and pour into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
Good side dish!! Flavor and texture meshed well with my entree - flounder meuniere. Also, first time I had baked my rice - provided great lightness to the dish. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Outstanding! Blended in perfectly with the chicken fajitas and ranch beans we had for dinner. Thanks for a keeper!
I loved it!!! My oven was in use, so after sauteing, I put it in my rice cooker. I think I used about 1-1/2 cups stock. Next time I might add some ginger too! For ZWTIII.