Recipe by PaulaG
This is a local dish. Central Cafe is a nice little restaurant and this recipe comes from Seasoned with Sun. A wonderful cookbook by the Junior Leage of El Paso. I made a few changes..of course! The original recipe calls for long grain rice and long green chiles, roasted and peeled. You can make it their way or mine, your choice.
Top Review by Cristina Barry
Good side dish!! Flavor and texture meshed well with my entree - flounder meuniere. Also, first time I had baked my rice - provided great lightness to the dish. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed well
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded,chopped
- 1 -2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a medium saute pan, add olive oil.
- When oil is warm, add the rice, onion, pepper, and garlic.
- Saute for 2 to 3 minutes or until rice browns slightly.
- Pour in chicken stock, stir and pour into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.