Recipe by Transylmania
This is a Cape Verdean classic. I grew up in an area with a large Cape Verdean population and this was a common quick, easy, and traditional dinner at several of my friends' houses. For best results use Portuguese or Cape Verdean canned tuna in oil.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (12 ounce) cans tuna
- 1 (14 ounce) canpeeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed hot pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pan or dutch oven over medium heat, saute onions, garlic, and pepper in olive oil until onion is soft and transparent.
- Add tuna, tomatoes, and seasonings. Cook for about five minutes over medium heat to let flavors blend.
- Add rice and water to make 3 cups of liquid. Bring to a boil.
- Let boil for 2 minutes, reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer till rice is done, about 25 minutes.
- Add herbs and serve with a salad.