Recipe by Rieaane
This is the way I cooked Arroz Caldo. I never used glutenous rice, I just used jasmine rice instead of it since I found the glutenous very sticky. The starchy texture of jasmine rice is already to make a very delicious Arroz Caldo. Vegetables are also added to complete the nutrients on it.
- 1 1⁄2 cups jasmine rice
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 500 g chicken, sliced into serving portions
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 1 medium carrot, sliced into strips (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup green beans, sliced thinly (also called baguio beans) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons roasted onions
- 1 dozen quail egg, boiled
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the rice once then drain.
- Heat butter in a pot, saute slices of 1 onion until transparent, then stir fry the drained rice until lightly brown.
- Add 6 cups water to the rice and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, stir occasionally.
- While waiting for the rice to cook, prepare the chicken. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a separate pot. Saute garlic until golden brown, add onions and ginger, stir for a minute then add chicken slices and 4 cups water. Let it boil, remove scums as it rises, lower the heat.
- Add fish sauce, sugar, black pepper, salt and pepper. Simmer for 2 minutes or until the chicken are done.
- Add the vegetables, cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken mixture to the cooked rice. Stir to mix well and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Garnish and serve.