Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 4 cups long grain rice (I use Uncle Ben's)
- 8 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until limp.
- Do not let it brown!
- Add the rice and sauté until the grains become shiny.
- Add the water, cover the pan, and cook over low heat until all the water is absorbed and the grains are tender.
This rice cooked up nicely and was very fluffy. However, despite all the onion and using good quality olive oil, there wasn't as much flavor as I expected. This has a very mild taste - I felt like there should perhaps be more seasoning.
Very good recipe but I agree that it could use some spicing up. Maybe add some stock powder to the water? However it is spot on re cooking method and comes out well.
Sounds exactly like we used to make it in Brasil, only we used crushed garlic instead of onions, more flavour that way.