This is one of those basic side dishes that in and of itself hasn't a lot of spice - but you can jazz it up with just about any spice you want - use your imagination - curry is one of my fav's
- In a heavy 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil for about a minute, tipping the pan to coat the bottom evenly.
- Add the onion and sauté, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes or until the onion is soft and transparent, but not yet brown.
- Pour in the rice and stir for about 3 minutes, until all the grains are coated with the oil. (Do not let the rice brown.).
- Add the boiling chicken stock and water to the rice. Add the tomatoes, curry powder, pepper and salt, and return the mixture to the boil, making sure to stir occasionally. Cover the saucepan and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Serve warm.