Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Very easy and has worked perfectly every time I've made it. It sounds like a lot of salt but it really does work. Taken from "Mexican Cooking" by Carolyn Dehnel. The only problem is its supposed to serve four but we love it so much it only feeds the two of us.
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 green chili, deseeded and chopped
- 175 g long grain white rice
- 475 ml chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F/ Gas 4.
- Heat oil in a pan and cook the onion, garlic and chilli until slightly browned.
- Add rice, stir well to ensure each grain is coated in oil (this will ensure the grains don't stick together when cooked), brown the rice slightly.
- When the rice is browned add stock and salt and bring to the boil.
- Put into a flameproof casserole dish.
- Cook in oven for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Stir with a fork to separate grains and serve.