1/2 Photos of Arroz Blanco (Mexican White Rice)
When most people think of Mexican rice, they think of the typical tomato-flavored rice. When I've been in Mexico, however, I've been served this type of white rice often. This recipe is authentic Mexican and comes from Rick Bayless.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth or 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups white rice, preferably medium-grain
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- 1In small saucepan or microwave oven, heat broth or water until steaming.
- 2Stir in about 3/4 teaspoon salt if using salted broth, 1 1/2 teaspoons if using unsalted broth or water.
- 3Cover and keep warm.
- 4In medium (3-quart) saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, heat the oil over medium heat.
- 5When hot, add raw rice and onion and stir regularly until grains have turned from translucent to milky-white, 4-5 minutes.
- 6Add garlic and stir for a few seconds, until fragrant. Do not let grains brown.
- 7Add the warm liquid and lime juice, stir thoroughly, scraping down any grains that are clinging to the side of the pan.
- 8Cover and cook over the lowest heat for 15 minutes--temperature should be low enough that only the slightest hint of steam escapes lid.
- 9Remove pan from heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes.
- 10Uncover and test a grain of rice: if still a little hard, re-cover pan and set over low heat for about 5 min.; if rice has absorbed all liquid and is completely dry, sprinkle on 2 tablespoons water before returning to heat.
- 11When rice is done, sprinkle on parsley and gently fluff with fork to release steam and stop the cooking.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arroz Blanco (Mexican White Rice)
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 281.8
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 379.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 6.5 g