1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Chef #928625's Note:
An easy versatile rice dish that can be paired with anything.Don't let the name or the white color fool you though:this is not plain rice-it is full of flavor.Soaking the rice serves to eliminate some of the excess starch making the grains seperate and fluffy and cuts down on the cooking time slightly.I admit that I am usually in a rush and skip this step-believe me the rice will still be perfectly fine without the soak, so steps 1-3 are really optional.More important is the step of frying the rice in oil,which also helps each grain to stay seperate,but also imparts a slightly nuttier flavor to the rice.This recipe is from Frida's Fiesta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cover the rice in very hot water and set aside for 15 minutes.
- 2Drain the rice and rinse well with cold water.
- 3Drain thoroughly and spread out to dry on a towel or baking sheet where there is good ventilation.This is important as you will be frying the rice in the next step and it should not be wet.Let it dry for about an hour.
- 4Heat the oil or lard in a medium sized pot over medium .When it is hot add the rice and stir for a minute or two.
- 5Add the onion and garlic and continue stirring ,lowering the heat a bit to medium low to keep everything from burning.Keep stirring frequently.
- 6After another couple of minutes when the onion looks translucent and the rice sounds like sand when stirred,add the celery,lime juice,and chicken stock.Add a little salt,to taste,or,if your stock is well seasoned,you may wish to omit any extra salt.
- 7Bring to a boil.Cover the pot and lower the heat to low.
- 8Cook about 20 m inutes,or until the rice is tender and all of the stock is absorbed.
- 9Discard the celery stalk before serving.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arroz Blanco (Mexican Style White Rice)
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.9
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 9.6 mg
- Sodium 183.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 6.5 g