Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup peas corn and carrot mix, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a small saucer, stir together the lemon juice and the saffron and leave to soak for 15 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute for 4 to 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute more, until the aroma of the garlic is released.
- Add the rice and stir for 3 to 4 minutes, until the kernels are slightly toasty and make a clicking noise on the pan.
- Stir in the lemon juice and saffron mixture, then add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the fresh peas, if using, otherwise add the frozen peas during the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
- Reduce the heat so that the liquid is simmering.
- Cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Serve hot.