Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe comes from an old cookbook from Bogota, Colombia. I am translating it from Spanish. The recipes are very basic and simple as taught to students. Feel free to elaborate. In Milan, the rice would be colored with saffron, but here achiote and tomato paste are used to make the rice yellowish.
- In a pressure cooker, saute onions in achiote oil for a few minutes to soften; add washed and drained rice, stir in hot broth and salt to taste.
- Cover and cook under pressure for 5 minutes; let pressure subside naturally, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut tomatoes into thick slices and add to pressure cooker, add peas to cooker, add mushrooms or sausage, cut into slices, into cooker, add tomato paste, mixed with a little water until pourable; cook until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and Parmesan.
- Serve with meat or chicken (that have sauce) and garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.