You won't get that "canned - chili powder" taste with this one.
Make and share this Arroz a la Mexicana-Traditional Mexican Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup medium grain rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium tomato, roasted,cored,peeled
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (NOT water)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- roasted corn (optional)
- roasted jalapenos (optional) or roasted poblano chile (optional)
- roasted bell pepper (optional)
- frozen peas (optional)
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- diced carrot (optional)
- crumbled queso fresco (optional) or crumbled farmer cheese (optional)
- In a small pan bring the broth to simmering.
- Set a large pan over medium heat-add the oil, then the rice and onion and cook, stirring, until both the rice and onion are light brown-around 10 minutes.
- Mix in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the pureed tomato Add the broth Add the optional ingredients-except cilantro and cheese Scrape the rice down and stir well.
- Reduce heat to a medium low, cover and finish cooking-around 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and toss and either stir in cilantro or offer at the table-I offer at the table because either you love it-like I do-or hate it, and offer the queso fresco or farmers cheese.