1/1 Photo of Arroz a la Mexicana-Traditional Mexican Rice
You won't get that "canned - chili powder" taste with this one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup medium grain rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium tomato, roasted,cored,peeled
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (NOT water)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- roasted corn (optional)
- roasted jalapenos (optional) or roasted poblano chile (optional)
- roasted bell pepper (optional)
- frozen peas (optional)
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- diced carrot (optional)
- crumbled queso fresco (optional) or crumbled farmer cheese (optional)
- 1In a small pan bring the broth to simmering.
- 2Set a large pan over medium heat-add the oil, then the rice and onion and cook, stirring, until both the rice and onion are light brown-around 10 minutes.
- 3Mix in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- 4Add the pureed tomato Add the broth Add the optional ingredients-except cilantro and cheese Scrape the rice down and stir well.
- 5Reduce heat to a medium low, cover and finish cooking-around 20 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat and toss and either stir in cilantro or offer at the table-I offer at the table because either you love it-like I do-or hate it, and offer the queso fresco or farmers cheese.
Browse Our Top Medium-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Medium-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arroz a la Mexicana-Traditional Mexican Rice
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.7
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 579.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 5.5 g