Prep 1 min
Cook 15 mins
- 2 cups rice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped or 1 1⁄2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup green peas (frozen or fresh cooked)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- chili pepper, flowers (fresh, hot chili peppers, sliced from the tip to the stem into 4 or 5 sections and immersed in cold)
- fresh coriander or parsley sprig
- 1 large avocado, peeled and sliced
- Puree the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and ½ cup (125 ml) of the stock in an electric blender or food processor.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the rice until it turns golden.
- Add the tomato puree, remaining stock, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer, and cover until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed (about 15 minutes).
- Mix in the peas and continue cooking until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Garnish with the optional garnishes.
Made this to go with tacos one evening. Very good side dish.