1 hr 20 mins
Chef #457852 - bggio's Note:
This is a great favorite of anyone who loves spicy sauces for pasta and can be made either vegetarian or with my way with a good Italian Pancetta. The ultimate way is to use fresh tomatoes and not canned but canned works as well to save time. The amount of herbs and hot pepper can be adjusted to your own tastes but this guideline is awesome.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 large tomatoes, ripe or 2 (28 ounce) cans canned tomatoes
- 5 long hot red chili peppers, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 ounces pancetta
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon unbleached cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1in boiling pot of water place tomatoes for a few minutes to loosen skins.
- 2Peel skins from tomatoes and discard boiling water,.
- 3In a stock pot place skinned tomatoes or (canned) to boil with 1/4 cup olive oil and 5 cloves of garlic and bring to a boil add the sugar, salt, pepper and herbs and continue to boil (crush tomatoes with potato masher after 45 min).
- 4In a separate fry pan place 3 tablespoons of olive oil and pancetta until fat is melted.
- 6hen add the onion until sweated then add 5 cloves of garlic
- 7Add red pepper and hot pepper and fry 3-4 minutes with onion and garlic.
- 8add red wine and simmer the mixture for 3-4 minutes and then add to the tomato and boil for 10 minutes.
- 9add the lemon juice and simmer on low for 45 minutes.
- 10Use your favorite pasta (penne or spaghettini are my faves).
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arrabiatta Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.9
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 311.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: