Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delightfully simple pasta dish with loads of flavour and more than a hint of chilli which blends so well with the tomato. Served with a generous sprinkling of parmesan cheese, crusty bread and accompanied with a nice glass of red wine. Its a meal to linger over.
- 200 -250 g penne pasta, dried
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes (14 oz)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 -3 pinches basil, dried
- salt and black pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, Grated
- In a small saucepan, gently cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the onion has softened.
- Add the chopped tomatoes with the juice, chilli flakes, basil and sugar.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer, stirring frequently for 40-45 minutes until its rendered to a nice thick sauce.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of salted water until cooked 'al dente', and then drain the pasta.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and mix in well. Serve with grated parmesan.
- Add slightly more Chilli if a hotter flavour is required.
Excellent recipe! Made as written and will again next time - absolutely no change necessary! Thanks for sharing your recipe! :)
I added some leftover pork loin cut into strips and portobella mushrooms...WOW!!
Better than the local pizzeria which we love.A definite keeper and so easy!
Excellent recipe and so easy to make. The only variation is that I used 4 fresh tomatoes instead of canned. I had penne arrabiata for dinner at a fancy restaurant the other night and I have been craving it since, and this receipe tasted the same. I'm making it again tomorrow, and the best part is that it's so easy and quick. Thanks for sharing :)