Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
A flavorful treat for both senses of taste and smell!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups tomatoes, coarsely chopped with their juice (canned is fine)
- 1 cup cooked carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup carrot juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon culinary lavender or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat butter and oil over low heat.
- Add green onions and garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes together with their juice and the cooked chopped carrots, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly thickened.
- Stir in chicken stock, carrot juice, salt, cumin, culinary lavender (or ginger), and pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the evaporated milk and simmer until just heated through about 1 minute longer.
- Do not let it boil.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil, serve, and enjoy!
- If you can find culinary lavender to use in the recipe, it's well worth it!
- A search on the internet should yield many hits on where you can add this wonderful item to your spice and herb collection.