These are delicious oriental tasting appetizers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 raw tiger prawns (jumbo shrimp)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 star anise, broken into pieces
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- lime slice
- green onion, chopped
- 1Peel the prawns, but leave tails intact. Cut along the back and remove the dark vein.
- 2Thread the prawns in pairs on 8 small skewers.
- 3Heat a heavy frying pan, add the chili powder, fennel seeds, peppercorns, start anise and cinnamon sticks and dry-fry for 1-2 minutes to release the flavours.
- 4Leave to cool, then grind coarsely in a grinder or tip into a mortar and crush with pestle.
- 5Heat the peanut oil in a shallow pan, add the garlic, ginger and chopped shallot and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until very lightly colored. Add crushed spices, season with salt and pepper and the cook the mixture gently for 5 minutes.
- 6Add rice vinegar and brown sugar, stir until dissolved, and then add the prawns. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, until they turn pink, but are still juicy.
- 7Serve hot and garnish with lime wedges and green onion.
Browse Our Top Chinese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chinese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aromatic Tiger Prawns
Serving Size: 1 (50 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 77.1
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.1 mg
- Sodium 74.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: